Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What will the world look like 25 years from now?


I was speaking with a colleague in the hospitality field the other day and we were reminiscing about the changes we've seen over the years.  One comment from my friend was a remembrance of a time when smoking was allowed on airline flights.  Another (much younger) colleague couldn't believe that smoking was ever allowed on flights.  I sure do.  Despite separating smoking and non-smoking sections, flying meant sitting in an enclosed space smelling of stale smoke. 

I also remember traveling on trains which had "smoking cars."  Walking to the dining car often meant walking through cars that were like gas chambers. 

I also worked in an advertising agency that did the advertising for the Philip Morris tobacco company.  One of the executives had a sign in his office that said "Of Course I Don't Mind If You Smoke."  That would be pretty unthinkable today.

Speaking of advertising, I remember the days when cigaret ads touted "smooth flavor."  And there were even claims that smoking had benefits of calming your nerves.  And, long ago, ads even featured health care professionals endorsing cigaret brands. 

I could go on (though I feel really old when I do).  I remember cars without seat belts.  Airports without security.  Wow.

I wonder what unforeseeable changes will be happening over the next 25 years or so.

No comments: