Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Innovation Can Be Anywhere


When marketers think about innovation and creativity, they generally think about products and promotion ... and ignore all the other elements of the marketing mix.  Some of the most innovative marketing ideas, though, have been in packaging, distribution and pricing.

Sometimes it doesn't even cost anything to be innovative.  When I worked for Hawaii Pizza Hut, I had a regular meeting with the Wyerhaeuser Corporation - the company that made our boxes.  Usually, we just talked about what promotional message should be printed on the box.  Once I asked them what ideas they might have for us.  After some thought, they suggested perforating the top of the cardboard box ... so that the cardboard could be pulled apart to create individual "serving plates" for the pizza. They even perforated little holes for a thumb and a finger to hold the plate.  The innovation cost virtually nothing because Wyerhaeuser had to make a die to cut the box anyway.  But this innovative little feature provided just a little extra value for the customer.  I personally love it when I see an innovation that makes me say "aha!" (like the first time I saw an automobile with cup holders).

For some more great (and creative) packaging ideas, click here.  You'll see that creativity knows no bounds. 

No comments: