Saturday, April 27, 2013

United Strikes Again for Poor Customer Service

I've blogged about United's poor customer service before, but they've just added to their dossier of inept handling of problems.

Here's the situation.  I had purchased "Economy Plus" seating for my daughter and son-in-law for their trip to visit us in Hawaii.  They were flying the Newark-Honolulu non-stop (ten-and-a-half hours) with a one year old, so seat selection was very important.  I spent a lot of time of the phone with an agent to get the best seats that I could: bulkhead seats so the little munchkin would have some room and not bother someone in front of them by pounding on the seat back.  A few days before the flight, my daughter checked the reservations only to find that the seats had been changed.  When she asked why, she was told that infants (laps) couldn't sit in a bulkhead seat.  This is despite the fact that when I booked the seats the agent was well aware that an infant would be traveling (which is why I wanted those particular seats in the first place). 

I called United to try to straighten it out.  I first got an agent who simply said that nothing could be done.  Now, anyone that knows anything about customer service knows that there's always something that can be done.  The agent also didn't offer an apology.  An apology is always in order even if the situation can't be fixed.  At the very least, the company should be apologizing for whatever caused the customer's frustration.

I then asked to speak to a supervisor.  After being on hold for some time, the agent came back on the phone and said the supervisor wouldn't come on the line because "nothing can be done."  Wow.  I'm pretty sure that's not United's policy, so I said that I would like to speak to the supervisor anyway. 

After another long wait on hold, the supervisor came on the line.  I had to provide my customer identification information (again).  There was no apology.  She informed me that, per the terms of the contract of carriage (an official set of rules), the airline could change seating assignments.  Now, I've been in the travel business and I know they can change seat assignments ... but my big question was why wasn't anyone informed??  I was told the airline has no requirement to do that.  Also true.  But wouldn't good customer service indicate that you should communicate with customers even if you're not required to communicate with customers??

The supervisor also cited all the lines that drive customers crazy.  "I don't make the rules."  "It's our policy."  "The rules don't require this."  I suggested several ways that the situation could be resolved.  A refund.  Blocking an empty seat in the same row.  Reward miles.  All these were "not possible" according to the supervisor.  I asked what was possible ... and the answer was "nothing." 

United has pretty much been in the cellar when it comes to rating airlines for customer service.  They obviously need to train their agents and supervisors.  A few years ago, a disgruntled United passenger produced a youtube video about his experience ("United Breaks Guitars") which got millions of hits.  It should be required viewing for all United agents. 

No comments: