Thursday, August 16, 2012

Product Improvements??


Let me start by saying that this post is an expression of my opinion.  I haven't seen any of the research or the marketing presentation decks that must have been developed around a product improvement introduced by Coors brewing.

The improvement?  Beer cans with a resealable screw cap.  Hmmmmm.

I just have to wonder how many beer drinkers out there don't finish a brew once they open the can.  And I have to wonder what the beer tastes like once its been opened, re-sealed and served again the next day.  I would have really enjoyed sitting in on whatever focus groups Coors conducted on the subject because this just doesn't sound like an idea that would resonate with real beer drinkers.

Miller brewing famously built its "lite" beer based on a deep understanding of the mindset of beer drinkers.  They didn't position "lite" as low-calorie, but as "less filling."  Because what beer drinkers want to do is drink more beer.  Which is why I have a hard time imagining them recapping the can and putting it the fridge.

When I teach marketing, I tell my students that in order to be successful a product has to be unique and relevant.  These beer containers are unique, but I doubt that serious beer drinkers will find them relevant.  

I will watch the developments of this product improvement with great interest. 

No comments: