Thursday, May 16, 2013

How to Make a Sale ...


I just made a $75 donation to my alma mater, Northwestern University.  I'm not saying that to brag.  In fact, I hadn't intended to make a donation at all.  I donated because of the persuasiveness of a student on a phone-a-thon. 

I got the call on a Saturday.  A very busy Saturday.  I knew right off the bat that this was a solicitation, and I just wanted to end the call and get back to my yard work.  So, what happened to convert my dismissive attitude into a sale?  It was a student who (perhaps intuitively) knew how to sell. 

First of all, he was respectful.  He knew he was interrupting my Saturday and he apologized for that.
Second, he was personable.  He identified himself by name and very briefly told me a little bit about himself.  So, I was talking to a human being, not a call center drone.  I was empathetic. 

Third, he asked about me.  He engaged me.  When did I go to school at NU?  What did I study there?  Where do I live now?  (Wow, Hawaii ... cool!).  

He knew the facts.  He knew when I last donated ... and he asked that I renew a commitment that I had made in the past. 

He asked for the order.  I initially told him that I wouldn't be pledging now - that I would have to discuss this with my wife.  He said "of course, but can I put you down for a minimum amount ... you can always change it later."  A primary rule of sales ... don't take no for an answer. 

We decided on $50 as a minimum amount.

He then said that everyone was being asked if they could increase their pledge by just 10%.  Could I go from $50 to $55?  That sounds like a very reasonable ask ... and I'm already in the "yes" mode ... so, I said yes.

After some additional cordial conversation, I hung up.  And, almost immediately I got an email from him confirming my pledge.

When I hadn't sent a check in a couple of weeks, I got a hand written reminder.

I felt so good about the whole event that I wrote a check for $75 instead of $55.

Now, the university is not going to double its endowment with a $75 gift, but I was not planning to donate at all.  And now they have me in their database (I'm sure).

There are lessons here.  Be respectful of customers.  Make connections.  Be personable.  Be human.  Be empathetic.  Ask for the order.  Upsell. 

And, oh yes, don't take no for an answer.  

No comments: