Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Little Details that Make Great Brands


When I talk about brands, I often tell a story about Disney that (I hope) illustrates the power of attention to detail in creating a strong brand. The story goes back to the time when I was national chairman of the American Marketing Association. The AMA was having a meeting in a Disney hotel in Orlando and Disney hosted a cocktail reception for our group (so they could make a sales pitch for future meetings bookings). As part of the reception they had Mickey Mouse make an appearance for photo opportunities with the guests. Three people came into the room. Mickey Mouse, a photographer, and a third person. I asked what the third person was doing there. His job was to hold your cocktail when your picture was being taken with Mickey - because the Disney brand doesn't associate its characters with alcohol. Small little detail ... that means so much when building a big and powerful brand.

1 comment:

Catri said...

I love this story! is one of those that you hear it once and stick to your memory, without effort.